3/4 Cup cornmeal
3/4 Cup flour
1 Tsp garlic powder
1/4 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
1/2 Cup buttermilk - add 1 tablespoon vinegar to a measuring cup, fill with milk to make 1/2 cup, let sit 5 minutes
2 Pounds okra, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
Oil for frying (I like peanut or vegetable oil)
1) In a cast iron skillet or deep pan, heat about 6 cups of oil to 350F.
2) Place cut okra in buttermilk to soak for a couple minutes while you assemble the coating.
3) In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, and seasonings. Transfer okra to coating mixture and toss well to coat.
4) Fry okra in hot oil for about 5 minutes, stirring to fry evenly.
5) Remove to paper towels to drain.