Parmesan Asparagus Ingredients:
2 (12 ounce) packages asparagus, bottoms trimmed
1 lemon, halved
¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, whisked with a tablespoon of water
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
¾ cup grated parmesan
Safflower or vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Lemony Sun-Dried Tomato Aioli Ingredients:
¾ cup mayonnaise
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch black pepper
1 tablespoon, heaping, minced sun-dried tomatoes
Check out our blog post Asparagus; A Perennial Flowering Plant for nutrition information, history, and much more!
1. Begin by preparing your lemony sun-dried tomato aioli: add all of the ingredients into a bowl, and whisk until smooth and well blended; keep in a covered container in the fridge until ready to serve.
2. To prepare the parmesan asparagus: place a medium-large pot of water over high heat, and add a good amount of salt so that it tastes like sea water; squeeze in the lemon and stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
3. Once the water boils, add in the asparagus, and blanch them for about 30 seconds - 1 minutes; remove from water and plunge into an ice water bath to shock the asparagus and stop if from further cooking, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Prepare your breading area by getting your flour ready in one bowl or container, your whisked egg in another, and the panko breadcrumbs combined with the parmesan in another.
5. Dip the asparagus spears into the flour to coat, then into the eggs, then into the panko-parmesan mixture to coat; set aside on a large platter, and repeat until all are coated.
6. Heat enough oil in a large skillet or pan to generously cover the bottom (enough for shallow frying), and once hot, begin adding batches of the coated asparagus spears and fry, turning them once, until golden-brown and crisp, roughly 2-3 minutes.
7. Drain on wire racks, and repeat with all coated asparagus; sprinkle with a bit of paprika to finish.
8. Serve on a platter with chilled aioli on the side for dipping.
See if you're in our to get the needed for this recipe delivered to your doorstep + use code KIWI50 for 50% off your first order!