2 medium pears (try Green Anjou), unpeeled, diced into small pieces (about ½ inch); (about 2 ½ cups diced)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups old-fashioned oats, gluten-free
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup peanut or almond butter
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1) Preheat oven to 275 F.
2) Place diced pears in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice, stirring to coat the pears.
3) Add oats, almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds.
4) In a small bowl, mix together peanut or almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, water, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth.
5) Mix the butter-maple syrup mixture into the pear-oat-nut mixture, combining well to moisten dry ingredients.
6) Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and spread trail mix evenly in the pan.
7) Place in oven and bake on top rack for 1 ½ hours, stirring every 20 minutes. Turn off oven and keep pan in oven for an additional hour to dry pears.
8) Remove from oven and transfer to an airtight container.