1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons lime zest (from 1 to 2 limes)
1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the granulated sugar, lime zest and lemon zest. Use your fingers to work the zest into the sugar, until the sugar is moist and fragrant.
4. Add in the butter and then beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until combined. 5. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
5. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour mixture. Beat until just incorporated.
6. Add the confectioners’ sugar to a shallow bowl. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of dough (I use my large cookie scoop) and roll into a ball. Place the ball in the confectioners’ sugar and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart.
7. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will still be light in color but the surfaces should be “cracked.” Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.