2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
10 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Cut into Pieces
1/3 Cup Shortening
1/4 Cup Cold Water
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Flour
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Tsp Fresh Lemon Zest
1/8 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
3 lbs Organic Apples (Peeled and cored, sliced thinly)
Crust: Blend the flour, salt, and sugar then add the butter and shortening until mixture is course. Add 6 tbsp of cold water and mix well. If dough is too dry add additional water 1 tbsp at a time. Form a ball with the dough and divide into two separate balls. Wrap in plastic and flatten slightly. Chill for 3 hours.
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Mix the sugar, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice and zest, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add the apple slices and toss to coat.
3) Roll each piece of dough onto a floured surface to create a 12-inch in diameter circle from each. Transfer one to a 9-inch glass pie dish and fold the edges under to form a rim and crimp the edges.
4) Add the filling.
5) Cut the other 12-inch dough into strips approximately 1 inch wide. Then arrange 6 strips across the top of the pie. Create a lattice by arranging 6 more strips diagonally across the first strips.
6) Gently press the ends into the crust edges and brush the lattice with milk and sprinkly with additional white sugar.
7) Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake until the pie begins to bubble and the crust is golden brown (approximately 1 hour 30 minutes).
*If the edges start to brown too quickly wrap the edge of the pie with foil.