2 cups (275g) good quality flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
1/2 cup (100ml) light olive oil
1 cup (250ml) yogurt (if using Greek yogurt, add 1 tbsp milk or buttermilk)
8 small plums, or 6 medium plums (should weigh about 320g) (or blueberries, apples, etc.)
Demerara or Swedish Pearl Sugar to top, if desired
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda into a large bowl.
3. Stir in the sugar.
4. In a separate bowl or measuring jug, whisk together: eggs, olive oil, and yogurt, until smooth.
5. Wash the plums and chop into pieces.
6. Pour the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients.
7. Slowly stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients in the large bowl, until just combined. DO NOT OVER STIR, it will make the muffins too dense.
8. Gently stir in the plums, with just a few turns, then fill the muffin cups. Sprinkle with a little raw sugar (demerara) if desired, for a crunchy top.
9. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.