We've been collecting recipes, both of our own and from you, and we're putting them all in one place! We add a new recipe every week that uses ingredients from the current menu, to help you in your organic food journey. Enjoy!
3 acorn squashes, cut in half with seeds removed
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup farro
1 bunch kale, stems removed
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground chicken
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecan halves, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each squash half so that it will sit upright without tipping over. Place squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet and transfer pan to oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until squash can be pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. When cooled, scoop out approximately three to four tablespoons of flesh from each squash half. Measure one cup of flesh and mash.
2. While squash is baking, bring chicken stock to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add farro, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook covered for 20 to 25 minutes or until farro is firm but tender. Remove from heat and drain if any liquid remains. Set aside.
3. Blanch kale in a pot of salted water for three to four minutes. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, squeeze to remove excess water. Chop kale and set aside.
4. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for two to three minutes. Add ground chicken and break up with a spatula. Continue cooking until chicken is browning.
5. Remove from heat and add one cup mashed squash flesh, farro, kale, cranberries, pecans, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and Parmesan cheese. Toss thoroughly until well combined.
6. Divide stuffing evenly between six squash halves. Drizzle each with additional olive oil. Place squashes on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until warm through. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.